Monday, April 18, 2016

Family is Not Always the Brady Bunch




One of my greatest regrets when it comes to family is that I am not close with my sister.  Yes, we see each other every few years for big family events and occasionally comment on one another's Facebook posts but we have very little other contact.  It has been this way for more than 50 years - literally since I was born.  Things are improving but it is unrealistic to think we'll ever have a tight sister bond that one sees on TV.  I take much of the blame as I have allowed my stubbornness and "principles" to get in the way of things - I am a Leo, after all.  Regardless, I am proud of what she has accomplished and proud that she is who she is.  While this may be polar opposite to me, the world only exists because of such diversity.

My relationship with my nieces is an unfortunate victim of this strained relationship.  I do, though, keep up with what they are doing through my Mom and Facebook.  It is not ideal but sometimes that is how life works out.  No matter what, I am still very proud of them.  They are beautiful girls who have had some rough times in their lives but they are strong and determined.  With only a few exceptions, the only photos I have of them are from their social media pages.  I hate using pictures from there as it feels like stalking but it enables me to still celebrate them.  The photo I used her of one of my nieces is an example of this.

So my take away is that family is family.  Distance - be it physical or emotional - should never prevent one from celebrating family.  While you may not share your deepest secrets with each other and call each other every day or week (or year), they are still your family and you should trust that no matter what, they will come through when they need to.


Layout information:
  • Sketch:  Let's Get Sketchy April Week 2
  • Background: 
    • Recollections cardstock
    • Splatters from October Afternoon Sprinklers (Icebox and Screen Door)
  • Papers:
    • My Minds Eye Stella and Rose
    • My Minds Eye Sweetest Things
  • Washi:  Unknown
  • Edge punches:  EK Success (three different ones)
  • Pom-Pom Ribbon (was bright blue; toned down with October Afternoon grey mist)
  • Brads:  My Minds Eye Indie Chic (I think)
  • Twine:  Pink Paislee House of Three Daily Junque
  • Canvas Circle:  Close to My Heart
  • Stamp:  Heidi Swapp
  • Letters:  October Afternoon Daily Flash




5 comments:

  1. Beautiful page! Thank you so much for joining us @LGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great take on the sketch! Thanks for joining us at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous page photo & colors!!!! Thank you for joining us @LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did with the sketch. Wonderful work. Thanks for joining us at Let's Get Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow stunning page and I love how you have used the sketch. Thanks for joining in with us at Let's Get Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete