Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Stars & Stripes (America's Cup)

I promised more posts....

These photos were from one of my favorite adventures - a chance to actually crew the Stars & Stripes - the actual racing yacht that won the America's Cup under Dennis Conner's leadership.  And what an amazing name for a yacht representing the US?  Can you get anymore patriotic than calling it the Stars & Stripes?  As a former sailor (nothing this large), and HUGE fan of the whole America's Cup race and history, it was an absolute honor to get the opportunity.  And even better, to share it with my parents (my Dad beng the one that taught me to sail in the first place).  This was NOT a tour - we all were actual crew, trimming sails, grinding, changing sails.  And it wasn't just sailing - it was a full race against another former America's Cup yacht - Canada II.

So while the experience was amazing the lifecycle of the layout was not so much.  It has been a work in progress for more than 7 months - no exaggeration.  I just didn't like my first attempt and it sat in pieces for a few months.  I made a second attempt, redid a few pieces and still didn't like it.  And so it sat.

And then all the blogs I follow started asking for red, white, and blue and then stars and stripes.  So I thought - darn it, Lisa!  Get that layout done!!!!  So I went back to scratch (not quite all the way - I still had my background paper and title, ha ha). I re-sized and re-printed the photos, made new mats adding stitching to one to emulate ropes, and added some ribbons and embellishments.  It is still very simple but I figured I needed to quit while I was ahead or else it would sit for another 7 months in the land of indecisiveness!

Anyway, it's done!  Whew.



Challenges (beyond the challenge of just finishing this):


22 comments:

  1. Love your LO! FUN was definitely had here. Thanks for joining us at Lasting Memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic layout, so fun looking!! Thanks so much for playing along with Paperplay this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You sure are on a roll today with all these wonderful projects...layouts and cards. Great job!

    Georgiana
    Carson's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous LO! Thanks for joining our CropStop Blue Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your layout. It looks like everyone had fun. I love the ribbon brhing the journaling box :) Thanks so much for playing with us this week at Paper Playtime and Exploring Cricut. Hope to see you again soon!

    michelle
    http://mumoftwoblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you finished it! Great job. Thanks for joining us at Exploring Cricut:)

    Annette
    mymindsdustbunnies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa, just hopped over from Unique Crafters Challenge. I am in Mesquite, so I am thrilled to find other scrappers in my area!! Have you been to the new store up there?? WE stopped by last Saturday at the opening. Would love to hear from you :o) and I will now be following you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awsome adventure. I too have sailed on much smaller boats (mostly sunfish), but I love watching them glide across the water with sails billowing. So glad you got to capture the whole thing in this wonderful layout. Thanks for sharing with us at lasting memories

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great layout. I especially love the corrugated star and the red, white and blue ribbon sticking out. Thanks so much for creating with us this week at Lasting Memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect setting for your pictures. The layout really allows you to enjoy the pics and read about the memory. Thanks for sharing at CWC.
    'Hugs,
    Larelyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic layout page!!! Love the title, the mats, the stitching and the ribbons. Thank you so very much for joining our challenge at Exploring Cricut and for playing with us at Paper Playtime!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fabulous scrapbook page and awesome pictures to go on it! Thanks for joining in at Shopping our Stash this week with our Triple Threat Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great picture and layout! Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime! :) Janis P.S. I'd love you to play over at my other challenge blog, Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges, where there's a new challenge every Friday!
    http://pausedreamenjoychallenges.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun!! The perfect photo's for your LO! Thanks for joining us at Lasting Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great layout and wonderful pictures. Thanks for joining us at Love to Create Challenge. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa amazing layout! Love the red, white, and blue ribbons on your journaling really draws your eye. Looks like that was a great day at sea! Your stitching does look like rope. Thanks so much for linking to my challenge! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous layout Lisa! Thanks for entering at Exploring Cricut.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice layout...Thanks so much for joining us this week at Love to Create Challenges. We would love to have you join us again next week also. joann sassy raggedy

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the ribbons!!!
    - thanks for joining us this week at lasting memories - i hope you come by again next week!! good luck in the draw - Kimberly DT - http://leokc34.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great scrapbook layout. Thanks for sharing it with Unique Crafter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous layout!! Love your take on this weeks inspiration photo. Thanks so much for playing along with The Pink Elephant!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great layout! Love the use of blue! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete